top of page

Bells

Great St Mary's has a full ring of 12 bells (plus a flat 6th), donated in celebration of the 800th anniversary of the founding of the University.  We're home to the original Cambridge Quarters, composed in 1793 and often misnamed the Westminster Chimes, the familiar ding-dong-ding-dong quarter-hour chime, imitated by Westminster Palace and doorbells around the world. 

The Society of Cambridge Youths has been ringing the bells at the University Church since 1724,  and is the second oldest ringing society at any church in the world with a continuous history of its ringing — as well as a welcoming community with a keen interest in teaching bell ringing. 

Bells_of_Great_St_Mary's%2C_Cambridge_ed
bottom of page